Monday, January 2, 2012

Why my student loan(s) suck . . .

As we begin the new year of 2012, I take pause to say that student loans suck!  I am dedicating this blog to my journey to be rid of my student loans and my Dh's student loans.

A little background before we begin . . .

I decided to major in well, who am I kidding?  Like I had a major at count 'em 3 different schools in two different states.  Did I graduate?  That would be a resounding NO!  Did I party like it was 2003?  I sure did.  Did I take out two student loans to finance this over the top, never ending spring break?  You bet.

Enter DH, he chose to go to an out of state college in the beginning and then transferred after two years to a private college (because that was smart) to get a liberal arts degree financed by (how did you guess?) student loans.  Then on top of that, decided to get a Masters and then went A.B.D. in a social science before realizing the social science professors make the salaries equivalent to lunch ladies.  These two very special degrees were subsidized by both private and federal student loans.

Q:   But, JB?  Why did DH take out student loans when most grad students get a stipend?

Honest Answer:  Because the social science stipends are barely enough to buy Cheetos let alone pay for living expenses.

Now we are collectively out in the real world and much to our dismay, the federal government, Chase, and Wells Fargo seem to want their money back.

This blog will be dedicated to tracking our progress of paying these banshees off.  Stay tuned for my next post as I reveal just how much we have to pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment